Friday, September 23, 2011

Pumpkin Bread and Cute Guys at the Farmers' Coop

Let me just start with THANK GAWD this week is over.  Work was hellacious.  I am reminded again that gee, I am just not passionate about payment processing.  (I know, you're all shocked by this revelation, but its true).  I am so ready to let my brain wander aimlessly, meander through side roads, think frivolously, all that stuff that I love to do and can't figure out how to get someone to pay me for...
I am somewhat in a Food Coma as we had a potluck at work today to usher in fall.  I made some pumpkin bread, because really...is there anything more autumnal than that?  Maybe acorn squash, but...you get my point.  (note to self, purchase acorn squash and bake with buttah and brown sugah....).  Nibbled all day long on yumtastic stuff brought in...meatballs, a hot and spicy queso dip, chicken tortilla soup.  And yet right now...the oven is going baking the ears of corn so they don't get icky.  And I'll probably chow on one of them.  That's how i roll. 
After work it was time to pick up 'the share' from our local farmers coop (I live in a house with a high school friend--both of us divorced and doing our best in this wretched economy--and she purchased a 'share' from our local farmers coop which entitles her to an abundance of fresh veggies and herbs every week of the season)...Twas an absolutely beautiful day today, kind of muggy and the wind is bizarre (seems to not be able to make up its mind which direction to come from and whether or not to blow at all) stopping off to pick out delicious fresh produce is about as delightful a chore as one can have.  So we're looking at all the yummies, and I'm in front of the tomatoes and the sign says that we can either take 4 large tomatoes or 4 boxes of small ones.  (you know, those little green boxes like at a grocery store).  This seems odd...4 boxes would be alottatomatas, so I asked the Cute Guy standing there selecting his produce for clarification (he is shy and is slightly startled at my, um, lack of shyness, but he is nice and genuine and conversation ensues posthaste)...we go through the whole, geez 4 boxes would be alottatomatas routine and then I asked one of the proprietresses to be sure, and she said "yep, four boxes...in fact, just take as many tomatoes as you want, we're harvesting tomatoes like crazy this week..." Yes, that's right, it's TomatoPalooza at the organic farm.   Yes, I said that out loud, you know you aren't surprised--and I'm happy because I do love tomatoes. Cute Guy is psyched by this as well, as the tomatoes are quite fabulous.  So then, Farm Proprietress says they have some huge tomatoes that split when picked that they can't put out for regular selling but were selling for $8 for thirteen pounds and they'd be great for sauce or salsa....Cute Guy is all over this and talking about making sauce.  We decide let's do it too!  Spend the weekend filling the freezer with lotsalotsa tomatasauce.  How fun will this be????  Got some fresh fennel too (and discussed with Cute Guy how fennel tastes like black licorice--also shared some cooking techniques for collard greens; he's a cooker that Cute Guy!!)  Kind of hope that Cute Guy is there again next week....might even ask him his name. 
In the meantime, Sauce is the order of the weekend!  mmmmmmmm......

1 comment:

  1. OMG Cute guy sounds so sweet!!! Come loaded with recipes and offers of cooking lessons. I have got to teach you how to get their name from the get go! Along with "will you be here again soon so I can give you my recipes routine!!!

    all this talk about tomatoes..... here we add basil and mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinegar with olive oil. Don't forget really good Italian bread. I am drooling thinking about it. Farmer's market tomorrow in NYC at Union Square.... here I come!!! and it is all your fault!! :)

    ReplyDelete