Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's The End of the World as We Know it....

One of the things I simply must have to live is music.  If you're not this kind of person, you won't understand, but to me music is as necessary as air or water.  Music is also a deeply personal thing, I believe--what speaks to me may not speak to you at all or may even grate on your ears.  Music can resonate in your soul, make you feel alive, help you work through issues, bring swiftness and joy to your step.  For me, also, it is a marker in life.  I immediately return to junior high when listening to Styx or AC/DC.  I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard The Sex Pistols, U2, Nirvana...the music so electrified my spirit it left a permanent mark on my life.

Prominently featured in the soundtrack of my life is the band REM.  Therefore, for me, it was a sad thing to learn this week that they had officially decided to disband.  No, they hadn't done much lately, but they were still together and the possibility still existed for more music.  I have had all of their albums (although some I have literally worn through playing them so often--it is always on my list to get some of the earlier work on CD), having fallen in love with the REM sound starting with Radio Free Europe.  I remember singing at the top of my lungs to "I am Superman" and "The One I Love"--and thinking that the woman they used in that video looked a lot like my very dear friend who had known the band from her college radio days in Florida when REM was just starting out.  I went to the 'Monster' tour with my bestest friends--7 months pregnant with my second son.  My least favorite album was their most commercially successful (Out of Time).  It merely spoke to me less than their other work.  When 'Accelerate' came out, critics complained that there was nothing 'groundbreaking' about it--to me that was its beauty.  Yes, a lot of the songs seemed familiar--it was like putting on your favorite pair of jeans--totally worn in, thoroughly comfortable, perfect and just for you. 

I wish all the guys--Peter, Michael, Mike, and Bill-- the very best in life.  And thank you.  Thank you for the great songs, the good times, the shoulder to cry on, the happiness to wrap myself in.  Because of you, REM, I believe in the Man On The Moon....

No comments:

Post a Comment