Monday, September 26, 2011

I Don't Like Mondays

You know how some Mondays are just ever so much more Monday-ish than other  Mondays?  Yeah....this was one of those Mondays.  After a couple of weeks of glorious weather, today the rain started in and while as a true Northwesterner I find rain comforting, to have it start in earnest on a Monday...well, just added to the whole Monday-ishness  going on.  Everyone was in a Monday mood at work...clients, coworkers, supervisors.  Bleeccch.  If it is possible to trudge quickly through one's work, that's what I did--I got a heckuva lot accomplished, and yet it all felt trudgey and dirge-like.  A coffee-spilling, toothpaste-splattering, stocking-snagging, lunch-forgetting, puddle-stepping, type WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON kind of day.  As I filled out forms to fill out forms and emailed forms to be filled out and filled out email forms to complete forms to be emailed and corrected previously filled out and emailed forms and e-filed them in 37 different root directories and files and databases and e-folders so that they could possibly be retrieved at some later date to fill out other forms to be emailed elsewhere upon request of an emailed and completed form....somewhere in there a little spark of me started designing and landscaping and decorating The Perfect House For Me.  I have No Earthly Idea if this house can or will exist other than in the slightly crazed recesses of my mind, but it was fabulously distracting thinking about 12 foot ceilings, fireplaces, warm tiled bathroom floors, rugs, leather upholstery, warm colors, that welcome home feeling when you open the door, not like you've just walked into a museum but like its a place to live and love. 

I love having a warm kitchen.  I love having sweets available for my kids.  It's a basic need for me, I think, to feed other people, especially offspring.  It's so satisfying to cook for other people.  It's just no fun to cook for one person.  Even when it gets boring and repetitive cooking the same favorites over and over (if, for example one happened to have extremely picky eaters.  Or, say one's children prefer to get their vitamins from Brightly Colored Cartoon Vitamins the way God intended.)  And so, on this Oh So Mondayest of Mondays, with rain and trudging and Cooking The Same Old Thing...somehow, everything was All Right.  My kids are happy and fed.  The kitchen is clean.  The house is quiet.  Monday is over. 

1 comment:

  1. "I don't like Mondays! I want to Shoo ooo ooo oot the whole day down!"
    Bob Geldoff (and Possibly the Boom Town Rats).

    ~Michael

    ReplyDelete